Passports for Children Under Age 16

For children under age 16, both parents and the child must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy.

Required items:

  • Completed, but not signed, Form DS-11 (PDF 98 KB) — DO NOT SIGN until instructed to by a consular officer. If the applicant has a social security number, it MUST be included in the application in order for the application to be considered complete.
  • Two full-face 2 inch-by-2 inch identical color photographs taken within the last six months with a white or light background.  The applicant should wear eyeglasses in the photograph.
    Evidence of the child’s relationship to the parents/guardians, such as an original birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad.
  • Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).
  • Proof of identity for both parents.
  • Proof of child’s citizenship, such as a previous U.S. passport or original birth certificate.
  • Proof of child’s identity, such as a photo ID.
  • Photo age progression – Passport renewals for children whose most recent passport was issued under the age of 5 should present one to two photographs per year of the child from the age in the previous passport to the present age.
  • Cash fee of $115 or equivalent in GNF.

NOTE: All documents must be submitted in original or certified copy with one photo copy of each.

If a parent cannot personally appear and sign the Form DS-11 (PDF 98 KB), then the other parent must submit:

  • An original notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child, or
  • A completed Form DS-3053 (PDF 52 KB) (Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16)


  • The absent parent’s identification information. A copy of his/her ID may be used for this purpose.

A parent who has sole authority to apply for a passport must present proof, such as a birth certificate listing only the applying parent; a court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order); a court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or a death certificate of non-applying parent.

If neither parent is physically present, the adult accompanying the child must present:

  1. An original power of attorney from both parents authorizing that person to act in the parents’ capacity, and
  2. An original notarized consent statements from both parents

NOTE: Incomplete applications may be asked to return at a later date.