Alert: Funeral Procession Alert-U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea; October 19, 2018
Location: Conakry, Guinea
- Ignace Deen Hospital
- Bombeto Circle
- Hamdallaye Circle
- Rue de la Prince
- Transversal 2 Road
Event: The Embassy has received reports of a funeral service scheduled to take place today, October 19, 2018, between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. for an individual who died this week during protest marches.
Mourners will march and drive from Ignace Deen Hospital in Kaloum beginning at 9:30 a.m., to Bombeto Circle via Rue de Donka and Rue de Prince. The march is expected to arrive at Hamdallaye Circle at 11:00 a.m. at which time Rue de Prince between Hamdallaye Circle and Bombeto Circle will be closed.
Guinean military and law enforcement prepositioned in key strategic areas along the march route to include Hamdallaye Circle, Bombeto Circle, Transversal 2 Road and others.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local media for updates;
- Avoid the area of protests or increased activity, particularly those listed above;
- Avoid crowds;
- Avoid demonstrations;
- Be aware of your surroundings.
U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea
Phone number: +224-65-10-40-00
Email address: ConConakry@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Guinea.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Conakry, located at Transversale No. 2, Centre Administratif de Koloma, opposite the RTG building in Ratoma, Conakry, Guinea, and is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to1:30 p.m. You may also call 657-10-4444 during normal business hours, 657-10-4311 during after-hours for emergencies.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).