Please be advised of a demonstration beginning now and possibly lasting throughout the day, Wednesday August 10th.
The U.S. Embassy informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place beginning outside the Conakry headquarters of the UFDG political party on Route de Donka, near the Embassy of North Korea. Members of the party are gathering to show support for one of their leaders who is standing trial today. They are expected to march toward downtown Conakry.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warning, Travel Alerts and Country Specific Information for Guinea.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Conakry, located at Transversale No. 2, Centre Administratif de Koloma, opposite the RTG building in Ratoma, Conakry, Guinea at +(224) 655-10-4000, Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(224) 657-10-4311.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.