Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea (May 14, 2018)
Location: Conakry and outlying regions of Guinea including, but not limited to, the following:
- Rue le Prince between Bambetto and Hamdalleye circles
Event: Possible sporadic violent demonstrations stemming from an opposition led “Ville Morte” (or Dead City Day). In the past, civil unrest and demonstrations took place at unpredictable locations around the city.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area around Bambetto Circle
- Avoid demonstrations
- Avoid crowds
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Review your personal security plans
- Monitor local media for updates
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warning, Travel Alerts and Country Specific Information for Guinea.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Conakry, located at Transversale No. 2, Centre Administratif de Koloma, opposite the RTG building in Ratoma, Conakry, Guinea at +(224) 655-10-4000, Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(224) 657-10-4311.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.