Event: Closure of Conakry Gbessia International Airport to Commercial Air Traffic
The Government of Guinea has announced the closure of Gbessia International Airport in Conakry to commercial air traffic for the next 45 days, effective immediately.
On March 19, 2020 the Department of State issued a Level 4”Do Not Travel” Global Health Alert to U.S. citizens.
Given the closure of airports and reduction of flight options worldwide, U.S. citizens should be prepared to remain outside the United States for an extended period.
The U.S. Department of State has established a Repatriation Task Force to assist U.S. citizens wishing to return to their usual residence in the United States. That number is 888-407-4747 in the U.S., or from overseas at 202-501-4444.
- CDC’s guidelines for the prevention of coronavirustravel.state.gov
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Guinea.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Visit Keeping workplaces, homes, schools, or commercial establishments safe.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.