Subject: Message to U.S. citizens – Election on Sunday, October 18, 2020; U. S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea (October 18, 2020)
Location: throughout Guinea
Events: The Guinean presidential election is being held today, Sunday October 18, 2020.
We have been informed that the Conakry International Airport will be closed from Saturday evening until 20h00 tonight.
All roads are closed to non-emergency traffic today. Vehicles without special election worker permits will not be allowed on the roads.
Embassy personnel have been directed to avoid non-essential travel throughout the weekend.
The U.S. Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Guinea, advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Guinea due to COVID-19, and to exercise increased caution in Guinea due to civil unrest. There is always a possibility protest activity may occur in Conakry and throughout Guinea at any given time.
What to Do:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.