2022-2023 HUMPHREY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Conakry is now accepting applications for the 2022-2023 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Fellowship is a Fulbright program that brings accomplished mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate-level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts. The application deadline is March 30, 2021.
Applicants can submit applications in two categories: The Regular Humphrey program or the Long -Term English (LTE) required program. LTE required candidates shall meet all requirements set by the program, but are allowed to have a lower English language test score. LTE grantees are required to attend an academic English language training prior to the start of the academic program in the United States.
The Humphrey Fellowship supports study in sustainable development, democratic institution building, education, and public health. Visit www.humphreyfellowship.org or learn about program supported fields.
To qualify applicants must:
- Be a Guinean citizen, currently living in Guinea.
- Hold a university degree (at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree).
- Have a minimum of five years of full-time professional experience (prior to August 2022) in the relevant field, after completing a university degree.
- Demonstrate a commitment to public service and potential for professional advancement.
- Be interested in the policy aspects of their field of specialization.
- Have both the need to participate in the program and the potential to benefit from it.
- Be proficient in both written and spoken English, and have a valid English language test score of minimum of TOEFL IBT 71, TOEFL ITP/PBT 525, or comparable IELTS score.
Note: The Humphrey Program offers a Long-Term English (LTE) language training opportunity to facilitate the participation of candidates from non-elite populations, rural areas, minority groups, and others who may be excellent candidates but have low English language test score (a minimum of TOEFL ITP/PBT 440, TOEFL IBT 42, or comparable IELTS score). LTE participants take 16-week intensive English language pre-academic program prior their Humphrey program.
Individuals with the following characteristics are ineligible to apply:
- Recent university graduates (even if they have significant positions).
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching English as a Foreign Language).
- Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2022.
- Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2022.
- A candidate with recent third-country experience, especially in developed countries, may have a less compelling need for the Humphrey Program than a candidate who has never had a significant professional opportunity abroad.
- According to the policies of the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, local employees of U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and members of their families are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment.
- Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status may not apply to the program, since they are ineligible for a J visa.
All U.S. Government scholarship programs adhere to equal opportunity principles. Any individual who fulfills the program criteria is welcome to apply regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, race, age, and/or political or religious belief.
Interviews will take place May 2021. The Public Affairs Section will select and nominate three to six Guinean candidates to compete in a worldwide competition for the final selection to the 2022-2023 Humphrey Fellowship.
Any inquiries about the program will not be answered via phone. Please direct all inquiries to PASConakry@state.gov