U.S. Embassy Conakry Notice of Funding Opportunity
U.S. Embassy Conakry is pleased to announce a call for proposals for the U.S. Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP), offering grants from US $10,000 to US $200,000 per project. Awards will be subject to availability of funds.
AFCP supports projects to preserve a wide range of cultural heritage in less developed countries, including historic buildings, archaeological sites, ethnographic objects, paintings, manuscripts, and indigenous languages and other forms of traditional cultural expression.
Eligible Project Applicants: Reputable and accountable non-commercial entities, able to demonstrate that they have the requisite experience and capacity to manage projects to preserve cultural heritage. This may include non-governmental organizations, museums, universities, ministries of culture, or similar institutions and organizations, including U.S.- based organizations subject to Section 501(c)(3) of the tax code. Past AFCP award recipients may submit applications for continuation funds under this opportunity. The AFCP will not award grants to individuals, commercial entities, or past award recipients that have not fulfilled the objectives or reporting requirements of previous AFCP awards.
Funding Areas: The AFCP 2021 Small Grants Competition supports the preservation of cultural sites, cultural objects and collections, and forms of traditional cultural expression. Appropriate project activities may include:
- In the case of cultural sites: conservation of an ancient or historic building, preservation of an archaeological site, or documentation of cultural sites in a region for preservation purposes
- In the case of cultural objects and collections: conservation needs assessments and treatment, inventory of a collection for conservation purposes, the creation of safe environments for storage or display of collections, or specialized training in the care and preservation of collections
- In the case of forms of traditional cultural expression: documentation and audiovisual recording of traditional music, indigenous languages and dance forms for broad dissemination as the means of teaching and further preserving them, or support for training in the preservation of traditional applied arts or crafts in danger of extinction.
Ineligible Activities and Unallowable Costs: AFCP does not support the following activities or costs:
- Preservation or purchase of privately or commercially owned cultural objects, collections, or real property, including those whose transfer from private or commercial to public ownership is envisioned, planned, or in process but not complete at the time of
- Preservation of natural heritage (e.g., physical, biological, and geological formations, paleontological collections, habitats of threatened species of animals and plants, fossils).
- Preservation of hominid or human
- Preservation of news media (e.g., newspapers, newsreels, radio and TV programs).
- Preservation of published materials available elsewhere (e.g., books, periodicals).
- Development of curricula or educational materials for classroom
- Archaeological excavations or exploratory surveys for research
- Historical research, except in cases where the research is justifiable and integral to the success of the proposed
- Acquisition or creation of new exhibits, objects, or collections for new or existing
- Construction of new buildings, building additions, or permanent coverings (over archaeological sites, for example).
- Commissions of new works of art or architecture for commemorative or economic development
- Creation of new or the modern adaptation of existing traditional dances, songs, chants, musical compositions, plays, or other
- Creation of replicas or conjectural reconstructions of cultural objects or sites that no longer
- Relocation of cultural sites from one physical location to
- Removal of cultural objects or elements of cultural sites from the country for any
- Digitization of cultural objects or collections, unless part of a larger, clearly defined conservation or documentation
- Conservation plans or other studies, unless they are one component of a larger project to implement the results of those
- Cash reserves, endowments, or revolving funds (funds must be expended within the award period [up to five years] and may not be used to create an endowment or revolving fund).
- Costs of fund-raising
- Contingency, unforeseen, or miscellaneous costs or
- Costs of work performed prior to announcement of the award unless allowable per 2 CFR 200.458 and approved by the Grants Officer.
- International travel, except in cases where travel is justifiable and integral to the success of the proposed
- Travel or study outside the host country for professional
- Individual projects costing less than US $10,000 or more than $200,000.
- Independent U.S. projects
For additional information please see details on the following page:
November 20, 2021 to PASConakry@state.gov.
Further information about the AFCP grant and previous grantees can be found here: https://eca.state.gov/cultural-heritage-center/ambassadors-fund-cultural-preservation