Demonstration Alert – U. S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea; November 19, 2018
Location: Conakry, Guinea
- Sino Guinean Hospital
- North Corniche/Taouyah Road
- Metal Guinea Road
Events: Protests are planned throughout Guinea for the week of November 19, 2018. These demonstrations and marches have not been approved by the Government.
This morning, November 19, there are confirmed reports of sporadic protest activity in the Kipe neighborhood along North Corniche/Taouyah Road and along Metal Guinea Road in close vicinity to the Sino Guinea Hospital. Protestors are blocking traffic and building makeshift road blocks in various locations throughout Kipe.
On Monday, November 19, 2018, the teachers union has called for a sit in protests in the Kaloum neighborhood of Conakry, locations still to be announced. In addition, the teachers union has called for sit-in protests at all of the communal and prefecture educational directorates throughout Guinea on Wednesday, November 21, 2018, Thursday, November 22, 2018, and Friday, November 23, 2018.
The opposition has called for a Ville Morte or “Dead City” on Wednesday, November 21, 2018, and a protest march and rally on Thursday, November 22, 2018, routes and locations still to be announced.
Please take note of these protests and plan your travel accordingly this week. Exercise the appropriate precautions and keep friends and family informed of your activities.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the local media for updates;
- Avoid the area of protests or increased activity, particularly those listed above;
- Avoid crowds;
- Avoid demonstrations;
- Be aware of your surroundings.
U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea
Phone number: +224-65-10-40-00
Email address: ConConakry@state.gov
State Department Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Guinea.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Conakry, located at Transversale No. 2, Centre Administratif de Koloma, opposite the RTG building in Ratoma, Conakry, Guinea, and is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to1:30 p.m. You may also call 657-10-4444 during normal business hours, 657-10-4311 during after-hours for emergencies.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.