Locations: Throughout Guinea
Event: Demonstrations in Conakry and throughout Guinea are scheduled to begin today, Monday, October 26, 2020 and are expected to continue throughout the week.
Typical locations for protest activity in Conakry often include, but are not limited to, Rue le Prince from the Cosa intersection, to the Bambeto traffic circle, to the Hamdallaye traffic circle. When violence occurs during these protests, it often takes the form of blocked traffic, burned tires in the streets, and rocks and debris thrown at passing vehicles. Traffic in and around areas of the protest will come to a halt.
U.S. Embassy staff has been ordered to shelter-in-place and not leave their residences. Some employees have been moved to safer locations.
Cellular data service and international calling services remain unavailable.
The Conakry International Airport remains open. U.S. citizens who wish to depart should make plans to do so immediately.
The U.S. Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Guinea, advising U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to Guinea due to COVID-19, and to exercise increased caution in Guinea due to civil unrest.
Actions to take:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Remember to let your family members know you are safe. Communication networks may be disrupted. Consider using SMS to check in.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
- Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.
For information on what the Department of State can (and cannot) do to assist in a crisis go to https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/what-state-dept-can-cant-do-crisis.html
U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea
Phone number: +224-655-10-40-00
Email address: ConakryACS@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444