The Embassy has received reports of a scheduled demonstration in Conakry today, Monday, January 6, 2020 starting at 10:00 a.m. The demonstration is scheduled to start on the AutoRoute at the Tannerie Roundabout in the Matoto Commune and continue on the AutoRoute to Transversal 1, then to Rue de le Prince and continue on Route de Donka until it reaches the September 28 Stadium via Bellevue Circle. This protest march is likely to impact normal traffic patterns throughout Conakry.
U.S. Embassy Conakry employees have been ordered to avoid the AutoRoute, Transversal 1, Route le Prince between the Concasseur intersection and the Hamdellaye roundabout, and Route de Donka between the Hamdellaye roundabout and the September 28 Stadium beginning at 10:00 today until further notice.
As always, there is the possibility that sporadic pop up protest activity may occur in Conakry at any given time. Typical locations for protest activity often include, but are not limited to, Rue le Prince from the Cosa intersection, to the Bambeto traffic circle, to the Hamdallaye traffic circle. When violence occurs during these protests, it often takes the form of blocked traffic, burned tires in the streets, and rocks and debris thrown at passing vehicles.
The State Department’s most recent travel advisory for Guinea is found at travel.state.gov . The advisory lists Guinea as a Level 2 country, where travelers should exercise increased caution due to civil unrest.
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
U.S. Embassy Conakry, Guinea
Phone number: +224-65-10-40-00
Email address: ConakryACS@state.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444